วันเสาร์ที่ 18 เมษายน พ.ศ. 2552

What food should I feed my male cat if I wish to prevent a urinary tract infection.?

My mom told me that male cats are prone to urinary tract infections. I just got a male cat and don't want to deal with urinary tract infections. I feed him natural choice or something like that, but I have no idea if that is one of the foods that helps to prevent UTI's. What are some foods that help to prevent UTI's? What are the ingredients the food needs or don't need.


Hi there ...cats who eat dry cat foods tend to suffer from recurring episodes of feline lower urinary tract disorders (FLUTD) and this seems to be a common denominator with cats diagnosed with various types of FLUTD's. The idea is to acidify the urine (like cranberry juice does for humans) because cats with FLUTD disorders have urine pH that is more alkaline so your goal is to reverse this and canned foods have been known to achieve the results.

Additionally, it's important to schedule feed a cat so you can monitor servings taken in during the day http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/news/feed.htm which seems to keep the urine from becoming more alkaline.

Furthermore, for cats who suffer from FLUTD the hydration in the canned products helps metabolize food better and are also completely devoid of carbohydrates, which is more optimal for the feline's body and while at the same acidifies the urine pH which is perfect for cats who have FLUTD . When cats eat raw meat in the wild they get hydration from the fresh meat juices as well as some roughage from the animals who are natural herbivores. We are have been exposed to so many commercial ads regarding dry food for cats, but in reality it's the manufacturer's who benefit rather than the cats. Cats are not naturally designed to eat dry--the products were designed for convenience for the owner.

All seafood cat food products should be avoided as they are high in phosphorous and turns urine pH more alkaline so canned meat products should only be used.

Here are some websites that I've researched to help prepare us for the long road ahead to minimize the repeat episodes:

FLUTD/UTI:

http://www.holisticat.com/FusFaq.htm

http://www.hdw-inc.com/healthfus.htm

9 Lives has a special formula to prevent UTIs...worked for my persian.

Give your mom a high five for me!

You don't need to feed any special foods. For most cats, eating a wet diet will keep them properly hydrated, which in turn means their urine is dilute, which means there's less chance of things going wrong.

Wet food can be either canned or a raw meat diet. I'll assume you're willing to try canned.

There are lots of brands out there, but I only recommend the good quality ones - these are NOT to be found in the grocery store. Nor will you find anything good at PetSmart (last time I checked).

Check out the list below. Each food has a link to their website, and each site has a "store locator" so you can find where it's sold in your area.

A personal suggestion is to try Natural Balance. This food is sold (in Wisconsin at least) at Petco, a chain store. It's reasonably priced as well.

Azo

Just read the packages there are many available that state on the label that they help to prevent UTI's. If price isn't a problem try Eukanuba or Science Diet. If your on a budget like most of the country my cat likes Meow Mix's version.

Been there done that. My cat had a UTI and it caused it to pee everywhere. So I took her to the vet and he put her on "UR" (available at the vet's office) and it fixed her right up. It is a little more expensive but a lot cheaper than the carpet that we had to replace.

Good Luck with your little kitty.

Well definately dont feed any junk you get at the grocery store. Go to Petsmart and pick up some Nutro Natural Choice, Nutro Max. Or some ROyal Canin.

my male is 7 and other onw was 13 they never had,i fed science diet

the best food to feed a cat to prevent uti's is Purina One for Urinary Tract health...I feed this to all my cats because one of my male cats had a horrible uti and the food the vet prescribed was very expensive, but when I found this food it was actually better and lower magnesium than what the vet offered at half the price (about $9 a bag for 7lbs) so now I feed it to all my cats they like it...it is made with turkey and yogurt....magnesium is the ingredient that you should look for and the content should be low and whatever you do dont feed your cat any soft food with fish or dont give your cat tuna they are both high in magnesium...when you give your cat soft food stick with the chickens, turkey and beef...and once in awhile i cook my cats chicken breast (broiled in the oven) good luck email me if you have any more questions

Feed him wet food in the evening and dry food in the morning. Buy him foods that contain cranberries or/and blueberries.

0 ความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น